About NYC Health + Hospitals:
In its century of service, Coney Island Hospital has established its reputation for clinical excellence and culturally competent care. The hospital has been recognized for its clinical innovations in Primary Care, Adolescent Medicine, Nuclear Medicine and Emergency Services. The hospital's staff is as diverse as the patients they serve. Interpreter services can be provided at any time of the day or night in over 130 languages.
To provide nursing care to hospitalized patients which involves the diagnosis and treatment of responses to actual and/or potential health problems through such means as case finding, health teaching, counseling, and provision of care supportive to or restorative of life and well-being.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assesses and monitors patient's condition and initiates appropriate nursing interventions including direct patient care.
- Plans and evaluates the delivery of nursing care utilizing the nursing process; formulates and implements a plan of care based on identified needs; sets priorities and delivers care to meet patient needs.
- Collaborates with other health professionals in the care of assigned patients, including patient/ significant other teaching and discharge planning.
- Assists with diagnostic tests/procedures and administers medications according to policy; evaluates patient responses and make appropriate revisions in the patient's plan of care.
- Recognizes emergency situations and acts effectively according to protocols; assumes personnel responsibility for safe work habits and patient safety; utilizes/enforces standard precautions.
- Maintains professional competence through participation in continuing education; attends annual mandatory classes; maintains CPR certification.
- Participates in performance assessment/improvement activities as assigned.
- Performs unit management activities in absence of HN or as assigned; keeps HN or unit activities/need s in her absence.
- Participates in the accreditation process.
- Participates in QI and discharge planning activities.
- Provides direct care to patients in the following age groups: Geriatrics, Middle adult and young adult.
For individuals holding an unrestricted registered professional nursing license BEFORE July 1,
2020 in New York State, another state or United States territory:
1. A valid New York State license and current registration to practice as a Registered Professional Nurse in New York State; and
2. Valid and current certification in Basic Life Support (BLS) through the American Heart
For individuals issued a registered professional nursing license on or AFTER July 1, 2020,
based on expected implementation of Chapter 502 of the Laws of 2017 and Chapter 380 of the
Laws of 2018:
1. A valid New York State license and current registration to practice as a Registered Professional
Nurse in New York State; and
a. A Bachelor's of Science degree in Nursing or higher (or other nursing degree, as identified by NYS Education Department including Master of Science in Nursing, Doctor of Nursing Practice, Doctor of Philosophy Degree in Nursing or Doctor of Nursing Science) from an accredited college or university, registered with the NYSED; or
b. Obtains a Bachelor's of Science Degree in Nursing or higher, as described in a above, within ten (10) years of the date of initial licensure; and
2. Valid and current certification in Basic Life Support (BLS) through the American Heart Association
Nurse Residency Program: Get the support you need to grow and thrive at NYC Health + Hospitals through our innovative
All full-time new hires that are recent graduates or new to their specialties are automatically enrolled in our 12-month Nurse Residency Program to assist in the transition to professional nursing practice while delivering patient care in a clinical environment. The Nurse Residency Program features interactive sessions, special educational events, simulations, and group seminars on evidence-based best practices, decision-making, conflict-resolution, end-of-life care, health care quality, patient safety and more. Participants will receive mentorship support, build relationships with nursing peers and develop leadership skills. For more information, log into .
- Demonstrate commitment to continued professional development
- Effective communication skills, oral and written
- Ability to establish successful interpersonal relationship with patients and coworkers
Please be advised that proof of Covid-19 vaccination is required prior to hire.